It Hurts When I Do That

Monday, April 4, 2011

This Secret


Magic Potion?  Silver Bullet?  The Big Secret?

All this searching to find the next big thing in losing body fat.

 You’ve heard it all and depending on your age you’ve seen a lot of gadgets out there.  I remember the belt that was attached to a machine and the individual would step into the loop of the belt, lean back, turn on the machine and let the jiggle begin!!  As a kid, I found it more fun to talk while it was shaking me around.  Oh yes, I jiggled and giggled but looking back on those events found that neither I nor the adults around me dropped any weight, but I digress.

So what about that Magic Potion?  Is there such a thing yet?  I’d love to be able to take that pill that would allow me to drop my body fat level to my ideal percentage, to increase my strength and allow me to look like I’m 25 again (including hair on my head)!

There is a key element out there that is all around us that will help!  It’s inexpensive and we have access to it almost all of our waking hours!  I’ve even seen this element touted as The Big Secret, the Secret Weapon to fat loss:
“All you have to do is click on the big yellow button below and you will have access to this all powerful tip!  But hurry!
We are only allowing the next 500 people access!”
Then you pay them a dollar and it routes you to a page that shares the secret. 
Well here is that secret:
Drink More Water!

That’s right, drink more water.  Now before you go off rolling your eyes and telling yourself and me that you drink plenty of water, let me ask you this………
…How much do you actually drink?  Give me your answer in total ounces, pints, quarts and even gallons!  You don’t get to count coffee, tea, or soda (I hope soda is not part of your daily nutrition).  The caffeine actually acts as a diuretic and doesn’t help in your body’s hydration.

First, let’s take a quick look at a basic function of your liver.  One of the jobs it has is to convert stored fat to energy!  But, it also picks up the slack for the kidneys when there’s not enough water for the kidneys to function properly.  If the kidneys are water deprived then the liver has to pick up their job and in turn doesn’t work on metabolizing our stored body fat as efficiently as when the kidneys are pulling their own weight.  Don’t let that happen, you’ll be setting yourself up for fat storage.

So you don’t like water for ANY reason.  No taste, boring, hate running to the bathroom so often.  Make it tasty!!  Add a little lemon, lime or even a berry or two!  Now about running to the restroom - it’s true!  You will run off to the potty more often at first and here’s why:  The body is flushing itself out.  As you continue to give your body all the water it could ask for, it gets rid of what it doesn’t need.  It releases the water in your ankles, hips, thighs, and perhaps around your belly!  After a few days the body will realize that it doesn’t have to store water, trusting that water will continue coming and eventually the frequent visits to the restroom will cease.

Water is great for your skin too!  It flushes out impurities, makes skin look younger and improves muscle tone.  While you are working out water will enable muscles to contract easier making the workout more effective.

How much water do you need?  Eight 8 ounce glasses every day?  Really?    That’s not that much if you total it out.  It equates to 2 Quarts of water!  Certainly each of us is different.  How hard you train, your body mass, etc.

Today’s homework for you………….start carrying a water bottle with you.  Keep track of how many times you empty that bottle into your body.  As you increase the intake of water your body will function better and you just may have found that magic potion to assist you in losing that body fat!



Bo
Fitness Professional
Since 1990

2 comments:

  1. Im going to do it!! I have a water bottle ready for tomorrow! Im excited about this new way to keep up with you guys.

    Joanna O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joanna!
    Great to have you along! Check out my newest post. HI to the family!

    ReplyDelete